Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My small dog who is three years old has a problem and I think

Customer Question

My small dog who is three years old has a problem and I think he's constipated. He's in pain he growls and use hollowing I called of an house that but they won't be here till tomorrow so I was wondering intron what did I do to help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Bruza and his bowel movement issues. A couple of things you can do to help his constipation tonight is to offer him some gentle sources of fiber such as a tablespoon of canned pumpkin with no spices to eat. The fiber is very gentle and will help move a long constipation. It also is beneficial for his health of his colon. The other thing you can do is just feed him some canned food if he is not used to eating canned food and this will help add fluid to his digestive tract and also help move stools along. So canned food or canned pumpkin can absolutely help. Along with making sure he is drinking water. Finally you can give him some Miralax. Which is a gentle over the counter laxative you will find at the human pharmacies. A 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon of this with his food can help soften his stools and help the constipation resolve. You can give this every 8 to 12 hours to help with constipation. I would not do anything stronger than this as it can cause a lot of pain and discomfort. This will help until your vet can examine him tomorrow and do any additional treatments that may be necessary and figure out a long term management plan. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!