Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My husband has been feeding our large collie mix dog large

Customer Question

My husband has been feeding our large collie mix dog large amounts of Oreos and nutter butter cookiesas treats for about two years. Usually one package of each every week. What are the dangers in this and how can I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am happy to help you this evening. I am sorry to hear about your husband feeding your dog these. The good news is that neither of t hem are inherently toxic to him. Oreos do not have any chocolate in them so they are not toxic and nutter butters are not toxic either. The bad thing about them is that they have no nutritional value and are full of sugars and fats. These can cause him to become over weight due to the excessive calories. The best thing to do to help him is to feed him a good quality dog food as his regular diet and to change to a more appropriate treat such as milk bones and provide them in limited quantities. He only needs a small piece of a milk bone or any treat (for dogs) and he will be happy to be receiving these treats. Large amounts are not necessary and are bad for him. So get him off the oreos and nutter butters just due to the poor nutritional value and get him on a more appropriate healthy diet formulated for dogs. Human foods such as these are not necessarily toxic (but some are!) but can definitely cause stomach upset and irritation at times. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you! I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!