Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dog insulin not working at prescribed level, insulin manufactures sugg

Customer Question

Dog insulin not working at prescribed level, insulin manufactures suggest a high does than vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. When dosing insulin, we tend to start low and then work our way up to an effective dose. Often times, it's 2-3 times the initial starting dose. The problem is, that we have to increase it slowly over weeks to months. We can't just keep increasing day to day without giving the body time to get used to that dose. I usually start at a low to medium dose. I'll give the dog 2 weeks to get used to that dose and then do a glucose curve. The curve is where we check blood glucose levels every 2-4 hours for 12 hours. If my highs are too high and my lows are too high, then I'll bump it up 10-20%. I'll then give them 2 weeks and do another curve. I keep doing that until my lows are no lower than 100 and my highs are no higher than 250. That is the range I want to be in. It takes time, but with adequate rechecks and adequate curves, we can get them regulated. Some vets will do spot checks where they just check one blood glucose. This doesn't help me much. I want to know what the glucoses are doing over a 12 hour period before changing a dose. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.