Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Rebecca, my dog has had a monthly bout of diarrhea consecutive months. She has ha

Customer Question

Hi Rebecca, my dog has had a monthly bout of diarrhea for 4 consecutive months. She has had both blood and stool tests as well as X-rays. They seemed to coincide with me leaving town, and the last time I left I got her a DAP collar and calming pills which seemed to have no effect. Most recently, that's not the case as I am in town and have had no changed in my day-to-day life. It has occurred on or around the 15th of each month since March.
It starts with her not eating, then the stools are runny/watery at first...then mucus-ye or shiny, then bloody and liquid.
Vomiting also occurs once or twice each time.
She has decent energy throughout. She doesn't rummage through garbage or get into stuff. Her diet is very consistent. I also have another dog that shows no symptoms.
Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What is the food that you feed?Does she get any other supplements, treats, dog bones, etc...?How often do you start a new bag of food, even if the same brand as always?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She eats NATURE'S DOMAIN TURKEY MEAL & SWEET POTATO by Kirkland (Costco). It's grain free. She's eaten it for the majority of her life.She also gets 1/4-1/2 of a Jerky Treats Plus w/ American Beef jerky treat daily.
Again...she's eaten these most of her life.They start a new bag every 6 weeks or so.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Okay.Considering that all tests have been unremarkable, you'll have to take a little jump of faith with me. This food is not ideal and those jerky treats are even worse. This all must go. The costco food, even if it says premium or limited ingredient is extremely not to be!!!!The jerky treats. We have no clue where the ingredients are truly sourced from. So. Any time there is chronic diarrhea or intermittent problems we must take away all the variables that could be contributing to it. Therefore, stop all of it!I would strongly recommend you ask your vet to start a trial on a hypoallergenic prescription food or gastrointestinal formula like Royal Canin gastrointestinal food or Science Diet I/D or W/D. But, the other dog is okay. Yep. Even if eating the same food, Cali may simply not be responding to it favorably.Otherwise, you are stuck moving forward with testing like an abdominal ultrasound and/or endoscopy to biopsy the intestinal walls to try and get a diagnosis. One other thing. A fecal test was done, but ask the vet about doing a fecal culture (PCR) test. It tests for other bugs that are far more difficult to diagnose and not sen on regular fecal tests. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm curious why you think tthat's necessary given that she is fine for 3 weeks the of the month? Why does the same thing happen mid-month (like clockwork), with no other symptoms in between, if she is eating the same food the entire time?One other thing I left out is that at the conclusion of the sickness, she breaks out in hives (after 4-5 days). It could be a reaction to the anti-diarreah meds? Or related to the sickness itself? It is quickly remedied by a dose a Benadryl.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Very tough question. Why the food? Because many general tests have been performed with no answers. So, until proven otherwise, we can't rule-out the food. But, yes, I do agree the food is less likely a concern. Although, I would not give those treats no matter what. I also can't rule-out something in the front or back yard that she is intermittent being exposed to. So, an environmental allergy is a consideration as well. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, are these diets suitable/appetizing for my other dogs? I know those foods are quite pricey. Do you have a recommendation for the treats? They spend each day their own room and usually need coaxed in by a treat.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Maybe not. :(Royal Canin has quite good palatability. I would hold off all treats until the problem is resolved, and then stay with very simple milk bone type treats. Nothing like jerky treats, snausages, meaty bones, etc...Fewer things that go in the mouth the better. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as environmental concerns, the dogs have access to a 20x30 fence portion of lawn. I am in Colorado and the weather has been quite volatile since March when this started. It'd have to be an extreme coincidence that he illness is triggered on the 15th of each month, given the variations in weather here, no?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
No question it is a awkward situation so everything in the environment, inside the home, and ingested have to be considered.I would also think about any treatments you give once a month like flea control (either oral or topical). Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel I am satisfied with this answer. Given the info I have provided, it seems to refute your diagnosis. Could you please pass my case along to another expert, or issue a refund?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
i opted out. no guarantee a expert will respond. it is a irregular question.