Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy has stopped eating,he drinks some water but it comes

Customer Question

My puppy has stopped eating,he drinks some water but it comes back up. His stool is runny. And he won't play.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had his vacations
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. How old is Dillinger? How many sets of puppy vaccines has he received?Has he had a fecal exam and/or deworming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1set. He has been dewormed. He is just 12 weeks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is sleeping now.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. I have just a couple more questions for you.How long has this been going on for?Is there any blood in his stool?Any recent changes in diet, new treats, given human food, gotten into the trash or potentially swallowed anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today is day 2 I gave him soft food 2 days ago that was the last time he ate
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I am not set up to do phone calls. I can opt out and see if another expert can call, or we can continue here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood in his stool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can continue
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Was the soft food new to him? Anything else he may have eaten or swallowed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was new. I dont think he ate anything else different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time he has slept all night and all of today.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. We cannot completely rule out parvo at this point. Even with him having 1 vaccine, he is still at risk for catching this virus. The symptoms may just be less severe. There are some intestinal parasites that can cause similar signs. Routine dewormers may not get whipworms and won't get protozoal parasites like Coccidia and Giardia. It is also possible that has a severe upset stomach from the new food as well. Lastly, I would also be concerned if he is swallowing anything that is causing an obstruction. My best advice is to have him evaluated by your vet today. All of these issues can be severe and life threatening. Going on 2 days, he is most likely dehydrated anyway and needs some fluid therapy. Trying to give him anything by mouth wouldn't help much because it will most likely come back up. Pepto bismol (1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight) may help and is usually safe if there isn't any blood in the stool. In my experience, though, a puppy this sick usually needs more intensive medical attention. Their system just cannot bounce back from being sick and dehydrated like an adult dog can. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating alot of grass
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that normal eating grass
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
The eating grass is usually a sign of nausea. Now, if he was eating grass before this started, make sure there wasn't anything you put down in the yard (i.e.; insecticide or herbicide) before this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just started eating grass yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Then he is most likely eating grass because he is very naseous
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His nose is still cool and damp. Is that good
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. The way the nose feels doesn't really correlate with a fever or dehydration. You have to feel the rest of the body. It is hard though because a dog's temperature is naturally higher than ours, so they will always feel hotter to us. The thing I am most concerned with is that it has been going on for 2 days. Puppies are far more prone to dehydration and low blood sugar than adults, so even if it isn't a life threatening disease, these symptoms can make it much worse if not attended to promptly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a puppy has parvo will it stop throwing up?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
If they are getting over parvo, they usually stop throwing up, but it tends to continue until they are over it, which many puppies are unable to do without supportive care.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dillinger. How is everything going?

Dr. John