Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 6 1/2 month 76lb Rottweiler puppy has had diarrhea for

Customer Question

Our 6 1/2 month 76lb Rottweiler puppy has had diarrhea for three days. We have been given him Royal Canine Gastrointestinal Puppy Food. His stoolsare getting a bit less soft but soft. He is in a great mood bubbly and playful. Should I give him some Imodium of Kaopectate? Or should I keep him on the presription diet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Bones is having issues with diarrhea.I definitely do not advise using imodium on your dog, there are some pets and some breeds that can have a serious reaction to this medication and so I never advise its use as a result.As long as he is happy, healthy and it is improving with what you are currently doing then I would continue this path. You can also supplement with white rice in the canned food and 1 tbsp canned pumpkin every 12 hours as wellBut if it continues into next week I would advise having your vet evaluate a fecal sample to ensure there is nothing that requires medical intervention such as giardia, coccidia, or another parasite that the food alone will not treatYou can also treat with pepcid (famotidine) 20 mg every 12 hours to ensure there is no issues with progression to nausea and an upset stomach. Unfortunately kaopectate is not very effective in dogs controlling loose stool or gi upsetI hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I will be online another 15 minutes then return soonafter if I miss you. I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You make alot of practical sense. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, how is Bones doing today? I would love an update when you are able!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bones. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman