Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog, a 5 year old Golden Retriever has somehow hurt the

Customer Question

My dog, a 5 year old Golden Retriever has somehow hurt the very tip of her tail. Every time she wags it (constantly) it flings blood all over the house. I try keeping it bandaged, but she removes the bandage after several hours. Is there something I can do, short of having her tail removed, to prevent my house from looking like a murder scene?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This is absolutely the most difficult injury to get to heal! But working with your veterinarian you can get this to heal. Over the years I have tried many things but the most effective that your vet can do is make a pseudo-cast out a syringe case to put over the tip of the tail and then bandage this in place (the bandage to be changed by your vet weekly) and leave it until it heals. It might take weeks: 3-8 weeks to get this to heal. Most need antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication during that time. If this does not work, then amputation may be the only solution. I have had to resort to this several times but usually in dogs with a shorter coat. The hair on the tail helps provide some level of padding.I am reluctant to recommend you bandage this at home because if you bandage it too tight, then the tip of the tail may loose circulation and then you must have her tail amputated. But if you were well versed in placing bandages, then you could use a well cushioned large-sized finger splint such as you buy at the pharmacy for a person and then bandage this. It really requires special tape that is sticky (we use Elastikon).I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.