Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

If I touch a dry couch or mattress that I know fact

Customer Question

If I touch a dry couch or mattress that I know for a fact has dog urine on/in it, can it be transferred to my skin, hair, clothing, sneakers, socks, bedding, (sheets and pillow), or chair cushions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. Once urine soaks into an absorbent material like an upholstered couch or mattress and it is dry you won't be able to get it on your dry skin, hair, sneakers or socks or bedding just by touching the surface of the material.However if your skin, hair or other surfaces are wet then that will get the urine that soaked in the couch or mattress wet and the urine can get back into solution and then it will be possible to transfer it.In short if everything remains dry there won't be a transfer, but any sort of wetness, even from sweat on your skin, will allow transfer to some degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would also include dry, upholstered car seats and dry wood tables?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If you have a solid, impermeable surface like plastic or sealed wood that isn't absorptive then urine won't soak in and it will leave a dried residue on those surfaces, and that residue can be transferred by touch.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I cannot provide a phone call service. If you'd prefer working that way I can opt out and see if another veterinarian is able to do so. In most states however state veterinary boards do not allow phone call consultations so you may have a long wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get an answer about the car upholstery. Can dry dog urine permeate it?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If the upholstery is fabric and the urine soaks in then once it is dry you won't be able to get it on your dry skin, hair, sneakers or socks or bedding just by touching the surface of the material.However if your skin, hair or other surfaces are wet then that will get the urine that soaked in the couch or mattress wet and the urine can get back into solution and then it will be possible to transfer it.If the car upholstery is plastic and the urine cannot permeate it then the urine won't soak in and it will leave a dried residue on those surfaces, and that residue can be transferred by touch.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I am being called away from my computer.If you have more questions please feel free to leave them for me and I will be happy to respond when I return this afternoon.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions. Please let me know and I will be happy to address them.