Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

A little dog about 9lbs got 300mil gram gabapentin caps what

Customer Question

A little dog about 9lbs got 300mil gram gabapentin caps what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did he have this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you and since time is ticking for Roadie on this, I do want to leave my thoughts for you. Now the good news is that this is a drug that we use in dogs, so this is not an outright poisoning. Still, this is much too high a dose for him and the risk of side effects is quite high here. In regards ***** ***** this could cause, we could see him become very sedate, weak, wobbly, suffer from a depression in his heart and breathing rates, a crash in blood pressure, fainting and collapse.
Therefore, in this situation, if it has been 2 hours, you could also consider treating with activated charcoal (1-4 grams per kilogram of body weight every 6-8 hours) for the next 24-48 hours to ensure you are blocking any absorption of this in his system. This is available over the counter at any pharmacy and can be administered in food or syringe fed mixed with water to give.
Finally, if you cannot do the above or he is showing signs already, then we'd need to get him to his vet urgently. They can use the above steps but also get him onto IV fluids to keep his blood pressure up and flush this out of his system quicker to limit any risk for him.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check at http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )