Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Gracie the 23 pound shih tzu has been panting and won't lay down and I have had her t

Customer Question

Gracie the 23 pound shih tzu has been panting and won't lay down and I have had her to my local vet for 3 weeks. He put her on prednisone,tussigon,and diazepam the first visit and we tx for slip disc. Without X-ray. Second visit we took away diazepam because of diarrhea. She is still standing and panting. We are now txt for arthritis and sedating to give her rest and gabapentin for Arthur. We had to cut the 5mg into half and then the half into. So 1/4 of the 5mg. Because she was losing control of her bowels.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I think the panting is most likely secondary to the Prednisone. Pred is a steroid that can cause panting, increased thirst, increased urination and increased appetite as side effects. They can also get a stressed or anxious appearance. I would wean off the Pred completely at this point. You can stay on Gabapentin for pain, as needed. Once the Pred is stopped, the panting and anxiety should both resolve within a day or two. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.