Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog just started to lose her hair on her stomach. She is

Customer Question

My dog just started to lose her hair on her stomach. She is not scratching at all and everything else appears normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Unfortunately hair loss is a vague symptom that can be due to many possible issues. With the not being itchy this makes itchy problems like skin allergies or bacterial skin infection less likely, but cannot be entirely ruled out. Some possible causes might include contact allergy/irritation, mite infection (demodex, in particular), ringworm, endocrine problem, excessive wear (rubbing) or I have seen some intact dogs do this when nearing or actually in heat. To try to work through that list will require working with your veterinarian and doing some testing. The first is a good examination followed by a skin scraping to look for both mites and yeast/bacteria. If nothing is found then if Zoe was my patient I would recommend some blood testing (CBC, chemistry profile, urinalysis) to look for underlying medical issues such as endocrine diseases that could cause hair loss.At home, you can certainly monitor this for a little while because she is not bothered and there are no skin lesions (no redness, rash, crusting/scabs, itching or excess licking) but if symptoms develops then it makes an exam with her vet a priority. You can also easily start her on a high quality omega-3 fatty acid/DHA supplement which helps improve coat quality and perhaps decrease shedding over time.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.