Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Jennifer. yesterday my female dog cried when she pee,

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Jennifer. yesterday my female dog cried when she pee, she did it twice. I noticed that she licks her vulva often. Any suggestion? Now she is afraid to go.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is Lakota on antibiotics and pain medication now? Which ones?
Did she cry before treatment or just in the past 2 urinations?
Did her vet do any tests?
When she urinates, is it small volumes or large?
Watery, dilute, very strong, or odorous? Any blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is taking Clavamox...she started crying last night in the last two urination
no test yet...this morning she tried a small and she cried no blood
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
And which pain relief (since her crying is a pain sign)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
carprofen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is afraid to pee...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is everything ok or are you still need time for answers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no one is answering .... I will request a refund ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type for you),
Now if she painful when urinating, then she will try to hold it to avoid that discomfort (just as we would do so). As well, pain on urination can cause crying and overgrooming of the vulva. Therefore, if she is already on Carprofen and still sore, then we need to tread with care here. The average bladder infection discomfort usually can be adequately controlled by this anti-inflammatory.
Since it is not doing so for her, we do need to be concerned that she potentially is suffering from discomfort because of urinary crystals, bladder stones, urine pH being too acidic, a resistant bacterial infection, or at here age, we'd also have to consider bladder tumors.
With this all in mind, I would advise considering having her vet reassessed at this stage. Her vet can try hr with an alternative anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Previcox, etc), give her stronger pain relief by injection to get her comfortable quicker +/- start her on Tramadol as well to tackle the discomfort. As well, they can test a urine sample to confirm infection (which if they take a sterile sample, it can be sent for culture to determine what bacteria is present and what antibiotic will clear it best), determine if there is any other health issue underlying (ie diabetes, kidney disease), determine if their are crystals (which are a problem themselves but also a stone precursor), and if there are any cancer cells in the urine. As well, they could potentially ultrasound her bladder to rule out some of these concerns if need be.
In the meantime, we need to ensure Lakota is drinking well. This will dilute her urine and decrease any burning from an off pH and flush out cyrstals if present. To do so, offer water, low salt chicken broth or even a bit of lactose free milk. You can also offer wet food since its 35% water. As well, you can give her a few milliliters of aloe vera berry juice from your local grocery or health food store. This can be of benefit in normalizing urine pH and reduce any sting from that.
Overall, these would be our concerns for Lakota. Therefore, I would advise the above supportive care just now but with her this sore despite pain relief, we do have to be wary of those other issues and therefore would be best to at least have a urine sample tested to make sure we are not missing anything that could be causing her pain.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry Im just worry...didn't know you typed so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I completely understand and share your concern about Lakota.
I just obviously was typing like a wee fiend and couldn't see your messages while I did so. In any case, I would advise the above for her since this isn't nice for anyone to be so sore.
All the best,
Dr. B.