Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

5yr old aus cattle dog blue on heat but discharging

Customer Question

5yr old aus cattle dog bitch blue on heat but discharging clear fluid as well am worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she been on heat?
How much discharge is she is passing? Does it have any odor? Any pus?
Is she passing more urine then usual? Going small amounts?
Is she bloated or just overweight? When did this start?
Has she had an increased thirst? How long?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 Day
discharge is lots , clear like wee
yes odour
no pus
yes she is overweight
she has always drank lots of water , this is still the same
she has always hung on for quite awhile instead of peeing , then when she does go it is a huge amount , this hasn't really changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is losing blood as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clear not clotted, but it is only day 1 this is normal for her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If it has an odor, what does it smell like?
Are you sure its discharge and not watery urine she is passing?
Is this the usual time frame for her heat cycle?
When was her last one?
Would you say she is otherwise passing urine normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. odour does smell like stale urine ?
2. not sure to this question
3. she is late by about a month
4. yes she is
5 . she is quite miserable and has been off her food for past 5 days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now as you have appreciated this copious amount of clear discharge i quite abnormal. I am glad you are not seeing pus, but if it has an odor, she is off her food yet drinking excessively; I am concerned that there is a more serious issue lurking. Especially if this isn't arising on her normal heat schedule.
My two main worries for her signs are a bladder infection (which they may not show straining/small frequent urinations if they are over drinking or have an underlying urine diluting condition like diabetes, Cushing's or organ issues). The other concern and I would be especially wary of for Sheeba is a possible uterine infection (pyometra). These could cause copious passage of odd discharge, increased thirst, and put them off food due to bacterermia (bacteria/bacterial toxins leaking into the blood) causing nausea. As well, just to note, pyometra can also cause abdominal distension that can appear like fairly quick weight gain.
In this case, especially if she has been off her food for 5 days, we need to tread with care. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have her checked by the local vet at this stage +/- have a urine or blood sample tested. That way they can determine which issue is present and make sure there is nothing more underlying. If a bladder infection is confirmed, then antibiotics would be indicated. If a pyometra is, then these tend to be cured via urgent spaying (to remove the infection) or can potentially be treated with antibiotics if there was a reason that wasn't possible.
So, these would be our concerns with Sheeba's signs. And if she has already been off her food so long, we need to act quickly to address this and get her feeling better and eating for us as soon as possible.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheeba. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has come throu her 'ordeal ' just great , I'm very happy and relieved to say !! She has no discharge is all clear and eating VERY well again . Thank you .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for the update,
I am very glad to hear that she has settled and feeling back to normal. Hopefully, that was just a wee blip of irritation and we will see no further issues for your lass.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )