Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I wanted to ask about my dogs vomiting. She is about 35lbs

Customer Question

hi. i wanted to ask about my dogs vomiting. She is about 35lbs and 4 years old and have had an off and on questionable food sensitivity/ allergy since relocating to a new state. She had refused food this morning and has vomited bile earlier (not very alarming for her) but around 7pm she ran out to eat grass to induce vomiting and then she just drank water and a few minutes later vomited it up and there was small blood specs/clots in it. Now I gave her 48mg of cerenia about an hour ago but i was wondering if I can also give her some famotidine to help with the stomach acid (even though i gave her the cerenia)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has this been an ongoing issue?
Have you tried a GI sensitive diet trial with her?
Has she vomited since the Cerenia?
Has she had and kept any water down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we moved to our new location (aug 2013) Thats when it started she had one string of GI upset which made her not eat then it went a few days (in between i gave her about 400ccs sub-q fluids and metronidazol and an injection of cerenia.) I put her on hills z/d dry food after for "allergies" but honestly it became overwhelmingly expensive to feed her and my full sized goldendoodle. Its 80$ a 25lb bag. And no vomiting since the cerenia and i gave the pills in peanut butter and after she took them she drank a little water and has stayed down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if she still had these issues with the Z/D, that does make allergies a bit less suspect. So, if she is on that food, we do need to potentially consider other issues. And if she isn't, then we may need to continue diet trials (which need to be fed exclusively with no treats or tid bits for 4-6 weeks to determine success with the any diet) with another more viable diet.
In any case, if she has settled, then you do not need to give the Famotidine here. Cerenia does tend to be very good and will last 24 hours. That said, there is no contraindications for doing so if you wished to or if she was still nauseous. If you do wish to give this, we tend to dose a dog her size at 7.5- 15 milligrams every 12 hours. And of course, we do tend to give this on an empty stomach (20 minutes before food) to allow full absorption. So, you can give that as well if you wished to.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet