Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I recently acquired a Shih Tzu from a rescue about a month

Customer Question

I recently acquired a Shih Tzu from a rescue about a month ago. I was told she was found with sores all over her body and I was to use a special shampoo twice a week. I did but it didn't seem to get better. I took her to another vet and she was placed on antibiotics and given another shampoo which was to be used in addition to the first shampoo. I did to no resolve. Now she pants most of time even after drinking water and seems to have even more locations with what appears to be open sores on her leg and almost totally around her neck. I've been applying Neosporin as well as lidocaine and liquid bandage to no resolve. I don't know what it is or what to do. A friend suggested a put on one of those plastic collars to prevent her from her constant licking and chewing on her skin. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A month ago when I went to the rescue facility to meet Molly I was told her background. I learned she was in isolation, because she was contagious due to getting a cold and was being treated with Cefpodoxine and to return in 7 days. I developed a contageous virus myself and returned in 10 days instead. Although they said Molly had fully recovered as I placed her in my car I noticed a thick yellow discharge in both her eyes and brought her back to the rescue and I was told to come return for her in a few days. When I called to find out her condition they told me that she had dry eye, was being treated and was again okay to go home. Molly needed to have a rabies vaccination so I took her directly to the vet they referred me to which was 5 minutes from the rescue. Within minutes of entering the vet Molly commenced coughing. Both myself and the technician administering the rabies injection were concerned about her cough. Two days later I took her to my personal vet to have her skin checked even though the majority of it had healed Molly still had a small open wound on the base of her neck, and also about her cough which had gotten considerable worse, constant sneezing and mucous in her eyes. After examination I learned Molly had an upper respiratory infection and was prescribed Doxicycline and a sterile opthamalic ointment. I returned to the my vet two weeks later. Molly had recovered from the URI, had no open wounds but was itching severely my vet prescribed Apoquel and added the Allersooth shampoo to be applied directly after the Malaseb. FYI, the open wounds and scabs are completely around the back of her neck to the top of her head, on the right side front shoulder, top of right leg. The remainder of the info I wrote about in my first submission.Also Re: Molly's panting. I noticed she was panting in the middle of the night in addition to her panting during the day for no apparent reason. Thank you for your assistance. Have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am glad the upper respiratory (possibly infectious tracheobronchitis) is resolved and perhaps her dry eye is improving with the right medication (hopefully tacrolimus or cyclosporine). For the skin, I must confirm your veterinarian performed both skin scrapings (not just for mites, but also bacteria and yeast) and a fungal culture (for ringworm) was started. These are easy infectious problems that need to be ruled out. If not done, then this is a starting point. After this given her history, treatment for sarcastic mange is simple (Revolution which is selamectin applied topically every 2 weeks for 3 doses; this is prescription) to rule out sarcastic mange, which can be tough to find on skin scraping. If still no response to apoquel/antibiotic or treatment for mites and all the testing mentioned was negative, then if not already done some screening lab work is indicated to look for endocrine problems (like Cushing's syndrome) that would perpetuate skin conditions. If this is normal, then she needs a skin biopsy to look for unusual issues like immune-mediated diseases such as pemphigus. This biopsy can also tell us if this is more consistent with an allergic skin disease, although if so, this should have improved tremendously almost right away on the Apoquel.In the meantime having her on a high quality omega-3 fatty acid and DHA supplement is important because it will improve the quality of her coat and reduce itching (ask your vet for a recommended product). Also, a probiotic can help support her overall health.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Armand,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey