Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I my dog bit a frog. (I think) Shut tzu. She is latholgic

Customer Question

I my dog bit a frog. (I think) Shut tzu.
She is latholgic , breathing is strange, she is constantly licking her lips and she is hiding in corner. Looks sooo sad. What do I do? It was a little grayish frog that got into the house.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do any of those.
She is now just resting. Her breathing is normal but I don't know if I should let her go to sleep. I took a video but I don't know if I can send it. She is still licking her lips a lot
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... This is usually no problem as long as you are dealing with a frog or a non toxic species of toad. You see frogs and toads are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the frog escapes. This toxin can make your dog foam at the mouth and salivate and sometimes vomit or feel slightly unwell for a few hours. However all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in a few hours. And whatever happens this is not a serious situation which would pass even if you do nothing.Just a word of warning to be on the safe side : Hopefully you were dealing with a frog which is no problem but be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA there are poisonous species of toads and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening. Read more about this HERE if you are in any doubt that you may be dealing with a toxic toad then contact your vet without delay : I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a little gray frog. I put him out. I am sure that's what she did. Picked it up in her mouth and dropped it. That's when I saw her. She is sleeping now.... Or trying to. I'll keep an eye on her and if anything changes within the hour allowed I'll get right back. Thanks for being there. This was quite helpful. Scared me to death. I love this little dog. We are like bread and butter.
Wilhelmina
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further. If this was a frog then you should have nothing to worry about Cyndi should be just fine. However I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.