Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Peter, My dog and I are visiting family and he's very unsettled and nervous. He

Customer Question

Dr. Peter,
My dog and I are visiting family and he's very unsettled and nervous. He is 15, has cushings disease, takes 12mg of Vetoryl everyday. He is also blind (except for a tiny bit of vision in one eye) He has eaten normally today, and had plenty of water. He normally sleeps a lot, but has hardly slept at all today. He wants to lie down and rest, but gets right back up. He has rear leg weakness (due to the cushings) and getting up is difficult for him, so having been up and down all day has just worn him out....but he is so restless.
I have some Tramadol that he was given just prior to the Cushings diagnosis, but am unsure if he can have it. I also have Acepromazine that our vet gave us in case of travel anxiety...but at his age a small dose really knocks him for a loop.
Sometimes he acts this way when his stomach is bothering him...so perhaps that could be? I understand if he's just anxious, but we have visited family before (he is familiar with everyone)...no other animals.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has he had any retching, gagging, lip licking, or vomiting?
Any black stools?
Are you sure that he is not anxious about the new surroundings in his compromised state?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No -- he has none of that.
He has had tenderness in his abdomen before...but he doesn't seem to have any this time.
The only other thing that is sort of abnormal for him is that he hasn't passed much stool in the last 36 hours or so. He is very "regular"...goes twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening after dinner.
He went normally on Tuesday when we arrived here....no black stool, they looked like his normal stool.
He only went once last night and it was soft, but not diarrhea.
He is drinking normally...and eating normally (he has an appetite), although I am just feeding him small amounts.
That's why I was thinking it might be stomach related...from the times in the past when he has had a stomach ache (tenderness, diarrhea) he has acted very much like he's acting now. He seems more uncomfortable than anxious.
He did not seem anxious when we arrived. He's been here many times before around the same people.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that you are not seeing any of those signs I asked about and that this isn't a totally foreign environment for him. In regards ***** ***** signs he is showing, I agree that his GI is suspect if the stool was soft and now he has become irregular.
In this case, I would note that we could use the Tramadol here to rule out and address any discomfort. As well, further to offering small frequent meals, I 'd advise that you can offer a light diet (ie rice or pasta with boiled white fish, scrambled egg, chicken, or cottage cheese). These are all easy on the gut and can help if we have mild GI upset. As well you can add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin to whatever diet you feed as that can help restore fecal regularity and firm up loose stool. So, that could just help us "reset" the gut if there is mild upset. As well, we could also consider a small dose of yogurt or a dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, which is OTC at vets, pet stores, and online) to again restore normal function for that gut and offset any mild upset for him.
Overall, he is not giving us any severe signs but I do agree that this sounds like a mild GI upset. Therefore, we can use the above and also offer Tramadol to ease any discomfort (and help him settle at night) and see if we can get him more settled for you.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :)
I will make him a scrambled egg and get him some of the other things you mentioned at the grocery later today to see if that helps.If I can ask one other question...I've not given him Tramadol since starting him n the Vetoryl (12mg once a day)....can you tell me if I need to reduce the Tramadol dosage or is it ok to give a full dose? He is 11 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
That sounds like a good plan of attack. In regards ***** ***** Tramadol, it doesn't affect the same pathways as his Cushing's disease or medication. Therefore, we'd use the same dose for him, though you could give a low level dose of 10mg for his size if you wanted to start small.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )