Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cocker was just stung by a ground bee. We had found a nest

Customer Question

My cocker was just stung by a ground bee. We had found a nest and sprayed it. My dog was stung on his tail area. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Bee stings even in smaller dogs would be much like bee stings in a human. In most cases there would be a little pain and swelling but that would gradually disappear over a period of a few hours without any intervention or treatment of any kind. 2. However a very small minority of dogs may suffer allergic reactions and if this happens you would expect to see symptoms such as marked swelling in the sting area or often the head, a fast appearing allergic rash on the body and lethargy or perhaps incoordination. { This is rare though } 3. In the case of mild allergic reactions I am aware that many owners use benadryl in this situation and it would be a logical thing to do. A suitable dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight, twice a day given orally.3. But of course if you do become further concerned or the dog deteriorates you should see an emergency vet without delay just to be on the safe side, but this would be generally rare with bee stings.Where I give advice about drugs or dose rates { Benadryl } I like to supply a link so that clients can check the accuracy of what I have said and read the contraindications : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.