Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just recently I noticed that my dog has some little pink bumps ON THE BACK OF HIS EARS. An

Customer Question

Just recently I noticed that my dog has some little pink bumps ON THE BACK OF HIS EARS. And just two days ago he scratched one of the bumps and started to bleed. It doesn't seem to hurt him but it hurts me knowing that the bump is there.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
When did they first appear?
Does he have any discharge or redness inside the ears?
Is he scratching the area more?
Is the larger lump new as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it I notice it just about 2 weeks ago but it was small. Just 4days ago it got bigger to the point that he pop one, and started to bleed. he don't have any discharge but the bump is a little red and pink. I sent a picture of it in this msg. he is constantly scratching this area and am not home all the time so it looks like its getting worst. I just dont have the money to go to a vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I did see your initial photos, which is why I asked about the larger lump as well. Now based on their appearance, your description, and his irritation; we do have a few concerns. First, with the number you are seeing, an ongoing allergy would be a potential issue. Otherwise, other concerns would include cysts, abscesses (if there is lingering infection, but we'd expect pus when you popped one), but also benign or cancerous growths (though we don't usually see so many at once).
In this situation, the best way to approach abnormal growths like this is to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely. Otherwise, if the above are not found (which sounds likely here), then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.
That said, if this is not an option, there are some steps you can try to reduce the irritation of these lumps and make sure they aren't an odd allergic response for him. To start, you can consider a trial on an antihistamine. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Furthermore, since he is irritated with this, you can also apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the lumps to reduce local inflammation and soothe any itchiness from these. And depending on where these are located (you noted ears but the photo looks more like his neck), you should consider putting an e-collar or a tshirt (if low enough) to cover the are and protect them from self harm. Any open bleeding lesions should also be salt water bathed and you can put OTC antibiotic cream on those.
Overall, these would be our concerns for the lumps you are seeing. So, do try the above to see if you can settle them for Snow. If they do not settle, those other concerns would become our bigger worries. And in that case, we would want the lumps aspirated. If you need to do that and since costs are a concern, I do just want to note some possible avenues of assistance. If you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer). It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any treatment costs. As well, Banfield offers a similar offer as well (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). If you don't have a these near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help if these need to be tested.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tonisha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snow. How is everything going?

nekovet