Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog locker herself in the bathroom today during a thunderstorm and

Customer Question

My dog locker herself in the bathroom today during a thunderstorm and for apart a 6" by 3' piece if drywall. There was a ton on the floor but I'm sure she ate some in the process. She's a 65 lb Weimaraner and about 11 1/2 years old. She has been eating and drinking normally tonight. I'm just worried because I don't know how much she took in.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Drywall isn't considered a serious toxin to dogs and is unlikely to have been ingested in any significant quantity by Darla. These dogs are trying to escape through the drywall rather than are interested in ingesting it. To answer you directly, our primary concern is should she have ingested the drywall could it obstruct her gastrointestinal tract? Unlikely, but watch for the tell-tale signs of obstruction - persistent vomiting and anorexia - and if these symptoms should arise, have Darla's abdomen X-rayed which is a diagnostic of choice for determining the health of the GI tract.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Darla. How is everything going?