Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Blood inurine diabetic female. Found issue as she peed four

Customer Question

Blood inurine diabetic female. Found issue as she peed four times in our yard strangefor her Idecidedto wipe and founfresh signsof blood!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your girls urine issues tonight. I am happy to help you this evening. Diabetes increases the risk of urinary tract infections due to the sugars that are in the urine. This creates the perfect growth environment for bacteria and can cause lots of irritation and blood in these patients. If she is eating and drinking normally tonight that is a good sign but she definitely should be checked out by your vet tomorrow at the latest. Your vet will do an exam and do a urinalysis to determine if there is an infection and then place her on antibiotics to treat the infection. Also if the urinalysis shows any sign of bladder stones xrays will do done to diagnose them. But this is less likely than just an infection. If she is not eating well or is acting very sick otherwise then have her seen by a vet tonight to make sure nothing else is going on besides a possible urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections can cause large amounts of blood in the urine and causes a lot of urinary irritation so the urinate very frequently. If she is eating and drinking normally then you will want to continue her insulin as prescribed. But definitely get her checked out tomorrow. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!