Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a yorky that is 10 years old. She sweats is anything

Customer Question

I have a yorky that is 10 years old. She sweats is anything wrong with her??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Yorkie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Where on her body is she sweating? Does she do it all the time or only at certain times? Is she eating and drinking normally?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Dogs do not have sweat glands like people, except on their feet. They can't produce sweat all over their body like we do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can feel the sweat all over her. I have feed and water out all the time for her. She is eating and drinking.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If she was excessively hot, I would expect her to be panting.
This could be a skin infection, and/or an allergic reaction. Dogs have sweat glands on their feet, and they have apocrine glands over their bodies that produce fluid to keep the coat clean and moist and lustrous. Some dogs with allergies or skin conditions will overproduce these fluids. It is sort of like sweat, but is not produced to cool the dog down; they do that by panting. If there is excessive production from these glands, I would be checking for some kind of skin condition.
Is she at all itchy?
Does bathing her seem to help at all?