Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My two year old Boston terrier has one eye closed and was sensitive

Customer Question

My two year old Boston terrier has one eye closed and was sensitive to light today. I put warm compress on her. I did manage to open the eye and was extremely red. I am concerned. Is this painful for her? Should I take her to Vets? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Penelope and her eye. I am happy to help you. Unfortunately since she is holding her eye closed and it is extremely red means that it is really inflamed and is painful. She should be checked out by your vet to make sure that the eye is not damaged somehow such as an ulcer and to see if there is an infection (like pink eye in humans). Your vet can then give medications to help settle her eye down and make her more comfortable. If she is not going after the eye tonight trying to rub or scratch it then waiting until tomorrow to have her seen is ok. If she keeps rubbing it or scratching at her eye she should be seen by your vet tonight or an emergency vet to treat her eye so she does not cause more damage. If you wait until tomorrow then the warm compresses will help calm her eye down and relieve pain. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!