petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

We just found our lab dead in the back yard just as we left

Customer Question

We just found our lab dead in the back yard just as we left him before we left home. He had a red sticky residue all down the front of his front fore legs. Our neighbors had threatened to kill him in retaliation for us having their dog taken away for biting our son. Do you think this could be a poison of some sort and what could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
......
I am sorry to hear about this situation. In most cases, I would say poisoning is unlikely, but with the history of the threats, I would certainly say that has to be considered. I can't think of any normal body fluid that would appear like that unless he had blood mixed with saliva that either came up from his GI tract or his respiratory tract, but that is not usually sticky.
........
The only way to gather any further information about this would be to have an autopsy performed. If this is a recent event, that is still possible, but you would need to get him to a veterinarian right away so as to collect tissue samples for analysis soon. This may mean utilizing an ER clinic. It can be a rather costly endeavor, but may be worth the cost if you are suspicious.
.......
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your pet.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z