petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Dr. Dan, French Bulldog with thick, slimy saliva. Sometimes

Customer Question

hi Dr. Dan, French Bulldog with thick, slimy saliva. Sometimes when she vomits it's like a cows cud.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Mucinex, or the generic Guaifenesin, can be used in dogs usually at a dose of 3-5 mg/kg every 8 hours, but has not been very successful in thinning and loosening mucus. If she is swallowing a lot of the mucus, it may be why she is vomiting up the cud like material. You could try over the counter pepcid AC or famotidine dosed at 1 mg per pound once or twice a day to see if it helps with the vomiting. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Z,
I like that idea very much! She's such a precious little girl.
Karen
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
When you figure her dose, round down to what is available. For example for a 17 pound dog, you could give 15 mg. The OTC choices are either 10 or 20 mg, so either 1 1/2 of the 10 or 3/4 of the 20. Make sense? Great. Keep me posted on her progress.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Octavia. How is everything going?

Dr Z