Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am baby sitting a lg.lab mix she is chewing of her hair do

Customer Question

i am baby sitting a lg.lab mix she is chewing of her hair do to fleas we took care of the fleas they are not back for10 days is it ok to give her prednisone. i gave her a 10mg yesterday it slowed down her chewing can i give her one a day or every other day she is about 65lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Belle. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. Yes, you can continue to give prednisone, 10 mg, once to twice daily. I would try to taper the dose, twice daily a few days, then once daily, then every other day to minimized side effects. You can also try Benadryl 50 mg 2 to 3 times a day. It can be given alone or with the prednisone. It may help to give less prednisone. I would continue using a good flea product regularly, like Frontline or Revolution or Bravecto or Nexgard or the Seresto collar. Otherwise they will be back! Supplements that can help with itching are fish oil, quercetin, probiotics, and anti oxidant vitamins. Let me know if you have any more questions. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ida
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! How is she doing?
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated) if this was helpful. You can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?