Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Pom-chi are my pom's phenabarbitol pill by mistake. A 10

Customer Question

My Pom-chi are my pom's phenabarbitol pill by mistake. A 10 mg tablet. He does not have epilepsy. Do I need to do anything?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ate the pill
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Mac received an accidental 10mg dose of phenobarbital.Are you sure it was a 10mg size tablet? Phenobarbital usually comes in 16.2mg, 32.4mg, 64.8mg and 97.2mg sizes.How much does Mac weigh?Is he a healthy pup or does he have health issues I should be aware of?How long ago did this occur?How is Mac behaving now?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I see that you are offline now so I will answer with what I know so far.The usual recommended dose of phenobarbital is 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours, but the dose can go as high as 4mg per pound of body weight twice daily.If both dogs are about the same size and Mac is healthy otherwise, with normal organ function then the dose that he took would likely be within the normal dosing range, though of course he doesn't need it.If he is otherwise healthy I would not expect any problems with that dose other than possible mild sedation. Because he may be quite sleepy tonight I do recommend that he be kept away from stairs and watch him closely so he doesn't stumble and hurt himself. I would let her sleep and he should be back to himself in about 12-24 hours.Please let me know if you have any further questions.