Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 3 pound yorkie died friday. She had a stroke or vetribular

Customer Question

My 3 pound yorkie died friday. She had a stroke or vetribular disease about 3 wks ago. She got better on prednizone but then started to get worse again , very lethargic, weight loss, would not eat for two days. The vet gave her a fluid drip and b12 shot that dat. I had given her pedialyte for vitsmins and fluid by syringe. Could you tell me why she passed away. Vet said her heart was good.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to go out of town for two days and my boyfriend was in charge of giving her the fluids and prednizone. She died when i was gone away. Do you think she could hsve stayed alive till i got back if she was given enough fluids and meds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, i had given her a little bit of xanax to calm her nerves that day.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your Pookie. My sincere condolences. It must be especially hard that she died when you were away. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The only way to know cause of death for sure, is an autopsy. If she had vestibular disease or stroke like symptoms, she could have had a brain tumor, brain infection, or a true stroke (blood clot in the brain). Any of these could have caused her death, and the fluids and meds might not have made any difference, whether you were there or not. It sounds like it was not her heart, so a problem with her brain is the most likely. Only an MRI would have diagnosed her problem, and likely there would not have been a good treatment if this was a stroke or a brain tumor. I am so sorry for your loss. Let me know what other questions you have.Rebecca