Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Yes my 1yr old dog is pooping out black runny poop. What is

Customer Question

Yes my 1yr old dog is pooping out black runny poop. What is going on with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your little one is having black runny stools! This is definitely a concern because black stool indicates the intestines are digesting blood, often from the stomach or proximal small intestine and should be taken seriouslyIf she is acting normal otherwise this can wait until your vet opens tomorrow but she absolutely should be seen regardless to begin on gi protectant medications such as sucralfateIn the meanwhile:- Begin cooking meals of white rice and lean meat such as chicken, turkey and feed in small quantities. This is bland yet bulking to her intestinal tract and will help reduce the diarrhea- Famotidine (pepcid) 10 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours which is an antacid over the counter used in hopes that if we have some stomach ulcerations we are reducing the stomach acids therefore preventing advancement of the stomach ulcerations- Ensure she is drinking readily, whether that be by adding water to her meals or flavoring her water a little bit with some no salt broth If she is showing signs of lethargy, vomiting, swollen abdomen, respiratory rate (breaths she takes in one minute while resting) > 60, gums are pale or blue, rectal temperature >103.5, restlessness or increased lethargy I would strongly advise a veterinary er tonightI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Arthur,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman