DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I have a Australian shepard and poodle mix that has been constipated

Customer Question

I have a Australian shepard and poodle mix that has been constipated for several days. he walks around the yard hunching his back and when inside does the same thing. he just threw up yellow stuff. He's uncomfortable. my wife said that his rear is very matted and she's cleaning it now. Could matted hair cause this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Yes, if matted hair was/is blocking his rectum and nit allowing him to defecate, it could definitely be the cause. Clear the hair completely away- thus may mean shaving his butt. If he still can't pass any feces, they may be so dried out from sitting I. There for awhile. If this is the case, you might need to take him to a vet for help. Do NOT try to reach into his rectum to get anything out or give an enema on your own. It is very easy to seriously damage this tissue. Hopefully just clearing the obstruction of hair will help. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?

DrMelJ