Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

I have a 9 yr old spayed female dog - 50lbs. Noticed

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 9 yr old spayed female dog - 50lbs. Noticed blood in her stool 2months ago - been treated by vet - antibiotics, new diet - no parasites, blood work came back great - past 8 days am seeing blood in her urine now - energy has dropped - clearly doe not feel well. Xray last night came back showing nothing, ultrasound last week showed no kidney or bladder stones...last night vet said is probably cancer/tumor - but why is nothing showing up diagnostically?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry that this is happening with her. When was her last blood work checked? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Monday, July 6.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, recent test negative for heartworm and lymes and two other tick borne diseases
Thank you for getting back to me. To be honest, what you are saying is concerning to me. If your vet hasn't already I would definitely want to check her for anaemia - this is a really simple test to see the amount of red blood cells she has in her system. If it was fine on Monday it might not be fine now - things really can change that quickly. The reason I mention this is that, as she has had blood in her stools and urine, I am concerned that she has a clotting problem. When this happens, tiny little wounds that normally you wouldn't even notice can bleed enough to produce clinical signs.
If I saw her in my clinic this is an area that I definitely would want to check. It isn't checked on routine blood work - your vet would need to send off for a specific clotting profile to see this, but the results come back pretty quickly. If she has a problem clotting then she could easily lose enough blood to become anaemic, which is a common cause of lethargy.
There are a number of things which can affect clotting. Severe liver disease can do it (as the liver produces proteins which the body uses to clot) but I think that would have been seen on her previous blood work and the uktrasounds. Low platelets would be high on my list, as platelets are essential to kick-start the clotting process. There is a condition where the body attacks and destroys the platelets. Again, there is a test for it, and it can be treated with steroids and immunosuppressive medications. I would also want to rule out access to rat poison - patients typically need to eat a little bit daily over several weeks for these types of signs, rather than a single dose. Again. this can be treated very successfully with either a blood or plasma transfusion, or both, and vitamin k.
If she is anaemic then she may need a blood transfusion to bring her levels up, especially if she is lethargic with it. This is a simple procedure, if she needs it, and can easily be performed at a regular vets.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this, or need clarification, then just get back to me again. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked with the vet and she was found to not be anaemic in the bloodwork run July 6.
Thank you for getting back to me. This is the reason why I asked when her blood tests were. She could easily gave had a clotting disorder July 6th without having bled enough to cause anaemia - while the clotting disorder can cause anaemia they are two separate conditions. It is perfectly possible for her not to have been anaemic on July 6 and be anaemic at the moment - a steady bleed over the last ten days or so (and before from the sounds of it) could easily do that. It is well worthy while running the bloods I outlined above, and checking for anaemia again. Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the possibility of cancer? Any other possible conditions? She has had blood in her stool for just over 2 months now and it is now in her urine to some degree. How do you test for the clotting disorder?
Thank you for getting me. Yes, in theory, it could still be cancer. Practically any clinical sign that an animal presents with could be cancer. However you have done x-rays and you have done ultrasound. Either the cancer is not there, or the tumours are less than 2cm across, which is why you are not seeing anything. You have two separate body systems involved here - blood in her stool which is gastrointestinal (the guts) and blood in her urine, which is urinary. I am looking for one condition which links two completely different body systems. It has to be system wide. So, either she has a horrible infection despite the antibiotics, which is affecting her system. Or she has cancer despite the negative scans, which is affecting her system. Or she has a clotting disorder and anaemia which you haven't tested for. If I saw her in my clinic I could take 2mls of blood from her and let you know in eight minutes if she was anaemic and if she could clot. I know I am repeating myself about the clotting and anaemia but the symptoms fit, it is very quick and easy to test for, and it is something that hasn't been investigated yet and so if she has it you are not treating her for it and she will still be getting worse. How you test for it depends on your vets - they either take 2mls of blood (which literally takes a minute, if that) and send it to the lab to get the results in eight hours or, if they have the machine, test for it in clinic which takes eight minutes. It's not a difficult test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my dog tested for clotting disorders and it came back negative. Waiting on additional bloodwork to come back testing for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Erlichia, and Lymes panel. What additional test to rule out a massive infection? Started her on prednisone last night - saw a slight improvement in her feeling better this morning, but clearly is very unwell.
Thank you for the update - I'm glad her clotting was fine. There really isn't an additional test to rule out an infection - it looks like your vet is doing all the tests that are available that would cause this type of thing. There are some things on routine bloods which show infection - if your vet did a haematology to include a white cell count then this would have shown evidence of infection. What you see is either massively high or massively low neutrophils for an infection, and her monocytes might also be increased. Platelets can be increased for inflammation also, but I would expect that anyway with the signs that she has. The neutrophils are initially used up to fight infection, then more are released to compensate and then used up again. It might also be worthwhile looking a smear of her blood to see if the neutrophils look healthy or if they look like they have been damaged fighting an infection.I'm glad she is responding to the prednisone. That would have been my next step also. If you really aren't getting anywhere with your vet it might be worthwhile asking for referral to an internal medicine specialist - I would offer referral for cases which are a bit unusual and not responding to the usual tests and treatment. Obviously this isn't a cheap route to go, but might be your only way of getting a diagnosis.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS