Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog may have eaten some chicken bones. She has been coughing

Customer Question

My dog may have eaten some chicken bones. She has been coughing since then. She thru-up night before last, but hasn't since.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did Demi potentially have these bones?
What did she bring up in her vomit?
Is she still eating and drinking?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Any diarrhea, straining to pass feces or black stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Day before yesterday is when she ate the bones-- the 12th of July '15
Just "puke" night before last; the last time (I know of) she thru-up.
Yes, at least she ate last night. Should I feed her this morning? -- I just fed her a little & she eats eagerly. She weighs 36 lbs.
Kind of motteled gums, but may not have noticed before. Still has a pink tongue. She is black colored.
Pressing on her stomach doesn't phase her.
No diarrhea, as far as I can tell. She is an outside dog most of the time. Will try to notice her stools.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now the dilemma with chicken bones is that in many situations they can be digested in the stomach; but sometimes we see complications with them. This can include blockages and trauma/damage to the gut. Therefore, while I am very glad to hear that she has none of those worrisome signs I asked about; we do still need to tread with care at this point.
Just to note, I do suspect the cough is just irritation (either from the bone or her vomiting). So, addressing this all should settle that for her too.
To start, we need to keep a close eye on Demi for the next 24 hours. Specifically, we want to watch out for any restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these, then having her seen so her vet can palpate her belly +/- xray to see if it we have a bone blockage would be best.
Otherwise, since she is comfortable and only showing mild vomiting (which could be related but may be due to a dietary indiscretion or GI bug), we can start some supportive care. In regards ***** ***** nausea, you can consider starting her on an antacid at this point. There are an number of OTC ones that we can use with pets and the 2 I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
When giving these, do so 20 minutes before food. And of course, check with her vet first if she has any pre-existing issues or is on any special medication.
Once that is on board, we can offer her some food. In this case, I would suggest starting her on a light diet (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) for the next few days. These will be easy to digest and help with her nausea no matter the cause. Whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of pumpkin or all-bran as a fiber source to push any bone material through the GI. You can also add cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to these meals to help it all to slip through.
Overall, if she has eaten bones, we do need to be careful at this stage. Therefore, since she is showing only mild signs, I would advise the above while you monitor her over the next 24 hours. As long as she settles, we are happy. But any of those blockage signs and we'd want a check with her vet urgently.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )