How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29984
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog may have ingested 15-20 tablets of meloxicam

Customer Question

i think my dog may have ingested 15-20 tablets of meloxicam 15 mg. she weighs 60 lbs, is very young and healthy. This was my prescription. I know this is an overdose. What should i do? I'm not sure when... it could have been 2 hrs ago or 20 min ago...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, Straight to an ER vet. That dosage can cause severe gastrointestinal distress and could result in organ toxicity. This is well worth immediate attention, where a vet will likely want to start immediate fluid therapy to help flush out the body, and gastrointestinal protective medications. I am not sure if they will suggest inducing vomiting or not due to the uncertainty of timing of when it was ingested. But, well worth the visit now. I would not take a wait and see approach. This is the best time to take as much proactive action possible to reduce risk. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy