Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a 13 year old pug that we have given Benadryl

Customer Question

we have a 13 year old pug that we have given Benadryl for several years during the summer to combat grass allergies and keeps him from scratching. He is definitely overweight as eating is his favorite past time.
In the last week he has had that inverted cough for the first time like he has a hair ball. He has always licked his kennel and sucked on his bedding so I am sure he picks up hair. It starts when he first gets on his feet and continues for several minutes before settling down but doesn't seem like he is in any stress.
He has been getting stiff in the hind quarters but joint-eze helps a lot with that. we are mainly concerned with the retching cough....thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is it harsh or soft?
Does he ever vomit or bring up phlegm afterwards?
Do you think it sounds like a reverse sneeze (example video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDledRQ7y4)?
Has Preston been as active as usual? Any slowing or sitting down on walks?