Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Stray dog showed up and he has not been eating very much and

Customer Question

Stray dog showed up and he has not been eating very much and is skinny. My concern is that I noticed a small amount of blood coming from his nose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about this stray dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is the blood coming from one nostril, or both? Does he have a fever? Normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The things that can cause weight loss, poor appetite and a nose bleed are tick borne disease ( usually there is fever), injury, respiratory infection (fungal, bacterial, viral), canine distemper. If this were my dog, I would take his temperature, feel his internal organs and lymph nodes, listen to his heart and lungs. I might run a few blood tests to try to find the problem. Once we have a diagnosis, and know the cause, we know the best treatment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He may have a fever and blood is coming from the left nostril he seems to have lots of energy. Could it be tick fevor?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is one possibility, yes, especially if he has a rectal temperature higher than 103. Dogs with a tick disease need antibiotics.
I would start with a good physical exam, and some basic blood tests to find out what is wrong.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?