Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 16 week old puppy seems to hVe pulled a muscle and is limping,

Customer Question

My 16 week old puppy seems to hVe pulled a muscle and is limping, can I give her any thing for the pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If this is just a simple strain or sprain then many owners would try and handle the situation with a couple of days strict rest and then a gradual return to exercise combined with an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin. This can often be effective. 2. In terms of over the counter pain killers for dogs aspirin is really your only choice. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers { which are often very unsuitable for dogs } and aspirin is in any case sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate article with all the facts you might need including contraindications and dose rates etc. : LINK 3. Of course if Ella does not quickly improve or if you note any deterioration then it would be best to have a vet check her over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Ella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect pulled muscle ...
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?