Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog had diarrhea and couldn't keep food down this weekend. Very liquid diarrhea 3-

Customer Question

My dog had diarrhea and couldn't keep food down this weekend. Very liquid diarrhea 3-4 times a day. The vomit was pretty much whole undigested dog food in a pile shortly after being fed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How is he doing now (today)? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Did he get into anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1- seems active, keeping food down, no diarrhea (details in info part of original submission)
2- he's about 40lbs (5 months old)
3- didn't see him get into anything but that doesn't mean he didn't
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry if I am repeating question that were part of the information you submitted. I did not receive all of the information at this end, sorry. 1- Is it fair to say he is back to normal? 2- What are you feeding him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him a half dose of pepto bismol tablets twice yesterday and switches him to small portions of wet rice, well drained cooked hamburger, and applesauce. I've given him some banana as well and keep encouraging him to drink water. The vomiting and diarrhea have stopped and he has had a couple of solid stools that are really dark in color (which I guess happens with pepto?) he's athletic and active and he is thin to start with...now you can see his ribs a bit. He's active and eating all of whatever I put out for him
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.You have done right starting him on a bland diet like rice and hamburger meat. I would not keep him on pepto bismol if he was vomiting, instead this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- Keep him on a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or hamburger (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet. 3- If the vomiting or diarrhea returns I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter