Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My3lb 6yr old female chiucha has been holding her mouth open

Customer Question

my3lb 6yr old female chiucha has been holding her mouth open and flexing her tongue continuosly I think she has a bad tooth maybe, can I give her a dose of duramycin all vets are not availible due to bad weather thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!
Unfortunately duramycin for livestock is not something we typically use in dogs and cats. In addition, if it is a tooth issue this is not an antibiotic that will help in getting Bitsy feeling better
I do think that with the continued movements she should see your vet as soon as they are available again, as long as there is no discoloration to her tongue (blue, purple, pale), her respiratory rate (breaths per minute while at rest) is <60, her rectal temperature is <103.5 then keeping her comfortable is key. The above signs are more of indications she should be seen by a veterinary er sooner rather than later (I do realize you said that no vets are available but I want you to be aware of what to monitor for).
If absolutely necessary you can try aspirin to keep her comfortable but if there is any stomach upset this might further exacerbate that condition. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food so for your little one this is <1/4 of an 81 mg baby aspirin every 12 hours with food
Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.
Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.
As a precaution I would be feeding her canned food (warmed) or moistened dry food as an alternative, monitoring for the more concerning signs I listed.
If she shows signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, gurgling stomach, eating grass) then you can give pepcid (famotidine) over the counter 1/8 tablet of a 10 mg tablet every 12hours to help settle her stomach.
I hope this information is helpful an your little one is feeling better soon. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!