Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My daughter just got a darling Persian kitten, that is about

Customer Question

My daughter just got a darling Persian kitten, that is about 11 weeks old; she recently got a border collie mix puppy, about 12 wks. old now!
On introduction, the kitten showed dominance, & tackled the puppy, but was wanting
To play; the puppy now has gotten rougher, as he is getting bigger!
The kitten seems to adore the pup, but we are afraid the kitten will get hurt!
Do you have advice for them on how to get these two playing less rough?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!
First, that is a lot of responsibility to get two little ones so quickly together but congratulations to her! I am so sorry that no one has assisted you both yet today
You are already starting out right by diverting him when he is getting to rough. Other options that I have found successful (I have a German Shepherd and two Chihuahua's so I know how difficult this can be!):
- Teach the puppy a down stay. I know at this age it is difficult but this will help because in a down stay the puppy is forced to stay in one place while the kitten moves around, investigates, rubs, etc and it is very difficult for the puppy to be too rough in a down position
- Use a noise (I use "shhht"), can full of coins, or the word "gentle" works well for me because I separate them as soon as it gets too aggressive. Being a Border Collie x he will be really smart and should catch on to being gentle quickly with noises and using the gentle word. Typically within 5-10 repetitions. If he isn't getting it then adding in the can of coins, the noise, or even a squirt bottle with a little lemon juice in it to reinforce the response without getting your hands in there. An alternative will be the toy in the middle to redirect him but that doesn't correct the behavior as readily
- Do puppy play time with the kitten after he is quite tired. Less energy = less forceful play
These are the best places to start but please let me know if you have any questions or if the suggestions are not helping and you need further guidance.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!