Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Chihuahua has been treated with prednisolone 2.5MG. She

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has been treated with prednisolone 2.5MG. She is 15 years old and weights around 5-7 lbs. She's being treated for a chronic cough. Is this the proper dosage for a Chihuahua at that age and weight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet todayTo answer your question, the anti inflammatory dose of prednisone is 0.5 mg/ kg/ daySo let's say she is 6 pounds (2.7 kg) that would mean her daily dose as an anti inflammatory is 1.25 mg daily. The dose that was listed I tend to save for more serious conditions such as immunocompromise and cancer.I would discuss with your veterinarian about potentially reducing her dose a little bit. But I tend to be much more conservative when it comes to medications, especially in senior (and tiny) patients. Prednisone at the dose you were prescribed is more likely to cause increased panting, restlessness, increased water intake/ urination/ appetite, swollen belly. CLICK HERE for more information on prednisone use in dogs in which it lists "Anti-inflammatory doses range from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound (0.2 to 0.6 mg/kg) up to twice daily."I hope this information is helpful, I don't intend to contradict your veterinarian but I do tend to be more conservative with prednisone/ prednisolone for this purpose. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman