Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have been away. My dog has been boarded and had doggie day

Customer Question

I have been away. My dog has been boarded and had doggie day care everyday for the last two weeks. When I picked her up for two days. I noticed a limp. When I dropped her back off for a week the limp is gone. She is very thin now. I was told that it's because she's been playing so much. They upped her food (she still has a big appetite). I had her on Natural Balances' Synergy due to the fact that she was a rescue, scared of everything, and getting little exercise. Now however, she is running around each day with other dogs. She seems tired now but that's expected after she returns from days of playing. She has had diarrhea twice. I searched her stool and don't see worms or anything. Not sure how to proceed. I'm struggling financially and can't really afford a big vet. bill at this time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!As long as the stool is intermittently soft and there is no blood nor mucus and she is acting normal otherwise we can try to increase the fiber in her diet in order to bulk up her stool. But if there is no improvement or the diarrhea progresses I would advise a veterinary fecal evaluation to ensure there are no medical causes of her diarrhea that require medical intervention- Add cooked white rice to her meals every 12 hours to increase the bulk and fiber to hopefully form the stool- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp with each meal also can be supplemented- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle her stomach and hopefully reduce the frequency of the loose stoolsOften if this is a stress related diarrhea this will help calm it down quite a bit but if it is something caught at the kennel such as giardia or coccidia it will likely not resolve with this method. Hopefully if she has been to your vet in the past 2-3 months they will evaluate a sample without a veterinary exam to dispense medication with your financial situationI hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am so sorry no one has assisted you earlier today, the question just appeared in the queue and I just signed on a few moments ago... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!