Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Scott, My dog ate almost a whole bar of dove soap. He cried, then later vomited o

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Scott,
My dog ate almost a whole bar of dove soap. He cried, then later vomited out the soap. He came back to bed and slept all night . He now seems fine. Is there any problem feeding him is cup of dry food this morning. He is hungry. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
This is actually quite common with dogs, but luckily isn't a toxic substance. We often see vomiting but once it is out of their stomachs, they do usually settle. Now if Andy seems settled, you can offer him a small bit of his dry food. If he keeps that down for 30 minutes, he can have some more and will likely have no issue.
If he does show any left over nausea, then I would consider stopping the dry for a few days and treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Finally if he did have upset, then you can also consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.
Overall, this isn't a major worry and if he looks hungry you can try him with a bit of dry. But any upset and we'd want to use the above for the next few days to make sure that stomach is totally settled.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Andy. How is everything going?

nekovet