Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yes, have a 2.5 yr old mix 25 lbs. Has history of eye infection

Customer Question

Yes, have a 2.5 yr old mix 25 lbs. Has history of eye infection with creamy yellow discharge. Vet has treated with ocular drops with no success. Is recurrent. It's back again this am. Would it be safe to use amoxil. Have 500 mg at home.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now if the infection is recurrent and failed to clear after a number of treatments, I do have to say that the best approach would be to have your vet swab the discharge for culture/sensitivity testing. This will tell you what is present and what drugs it is vulnerable to. And that tends to allow us to treat effectively and halt these kinds of infection.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** use, it isn't something we often reach for when treating eye infections. Still you can try it if you wished to. To read more about the dose and its potential side effects, I would advise a peek HERE (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/amoxicillin). Otherwise, just to note, an average treatment course with this would be twice daily for 7-10 days. And since the eyes are our main issue, I would also advise keeping up on flushing these eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). That will reduce the bacterial load causing Charlie's signs and give the Amoxicillin a chance to help if what is present is sensitive to it.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maryellen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

nekovet