Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 4 year old 90lb black lab just spent 3 weeks with my daughter

Customer Question

My 4 year old 90lb black lab just spent 3 weeks with my daughter in a big city. She took him to a dog park 4 days a week. He now has yellow discharge out of his eyes and has a cough. He is not rambunctious like normal. I can tell he just does not feel good:( I will take him to the vet tomorrow but was wondering if I can do something for him tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern for Remi. It certainly sounds like a upper respiratory infection. We cannot do anything for the eyes at this point. If you want to clean the eyes, you can only use a over the counter sterile eye irrigation solution from the pharmacy. Do not use water and no products like visine.For the cough, I can suggest a cough suppressant, but because I don't know the severity of the problem, make sure to get in to the vet ASAP. Sometimes, a cough suppressant can give a false impression that things are better. To ease coughing, you can give Dextromethorphan, which can be found over-the-counter. However, many cough medications over-the-counter are combination products. So, if you grab a product like Robitussin, make sure it doesn’t have other ingredients like acetaminophen or caffeine. If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. The dose is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. So, a 20 pound dog could get anywhere from 5mg to 10mg of dextromethorphan. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1303+1469&aid=1395If at anytime your pet is panting heavily for hours, has difficulty breathing or excessive coughing, regardless of the cause, please contact an ER veterinarian immediately. Hope that info helps.Good Luck!Dr. Andy