Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How much tramadol is safe to give my 7 lb dog? He has an eye

Customer Question

How much tramadol is safe to give my 7 lb dog? He has an eye issue and today his eye seems worse and he appears to be in pain. Thank
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry know one has got to your question yet. That may be because the answer is none is safe. At 7 pounds body weight, Tramadol is difficult to properly dose. So, the real answer is that I would not give Tramadol until evaluated by a veterinarian. Now, if you are interested in more details about the medication and dosing, you can find that information within the link below. It is a trusted website, but I can't myself give guidance and encourage its use for liability reasons, which I am sure you already know.http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/tramadol-hydrochloride-ultramWish I could be more specific, but the answer you seek is contained within the link.I would expect the vet to recommend a simple eye stain test to check for any possible eye injuries like a corneal scratch, and prescribe topical medication accordingly.Good Luck!Dr. Andy