Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog ate old chocolate cookie dough out of the garbage cad

Customer Question

My dog ate old chocolate cookie dough out of the garbage cad this afternoon when I left the house now her stomach is bloated and she is breathing heavy what can I do "
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If there is any evidence of stomach bloat or a tense belly, you must go to an ER vet right now. You don't want to wait on this situation. Assuming it is only bloated and there is no stomach torsion (when the stomach twists on itself and requires emergency surgery), this is the time to take action. I can suggest a few antacids below to settle the stomach, but it is far from sufficient for what you are observing and based on what was ingested. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Also, sometimes, we will suggest giving "Gas-X" which is simethicone. Definitely, with no second guessing in my mind, this is worth an ER trip with visible bloat and the heavy breathing present. Good Luck!Also, I would expect the vet to recommend an immediate abdominal x-ray to verify the severity of bloat and ensure torsion is not a concern. I hope that information is helpful.Dr. Andy