How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Wheaten Terrier has ingested some hydrangea leaves and at

Customer Question

My Wheaten Terrier has ingested some hydrangea leaves and at least one stem. Help! What should we do? I understand this plant is toxic.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern.Yes, the can be toxic to dogs, due to the cyanide contained within them. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/hydrangeaWe generally only see the gastrointestinal symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. Because leaves and a stem were ingested, it would be worthwhile to get to an ER vet for some proactive supportive care to prevent or reduce the complications of GI illness. I can recommend an antacid below to help the stomach, but ideally, a vet visit to get some good protective medications would be useful.To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. If you elect not to go in to a vet:If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea- poor appetite that persists- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly Hope that info helps.Good Luck!Dr. Andy