Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is on benazepril disease. The vet. prescribed

Customer Question

My dog is on benazepril for Kidney disease. The vet. prescribed it for her last week while I was out of town and she was in the car of my parents. When I picked her up on Friday, I misunderstood my parents and thought she was to get 1/4 tablet twice per day NOT once/ per day. She has now had a double dose Friday, Saturday, and Today. She is acting fine, however, I am wondering if there are any side effects I should watch out for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Please don't be alarmed. Benazepril can be dosed once or twice daily. We initially prescribe it as a once daily drug but can go to twice daily dosing if either hypertension and/or proteinuria (loss of protein through the urine) exists. It's unlikely that you'll see any adverse effects at all but I do recommend rechecking kidney values (BUN, creatinine) whenever a dose adustment upward has been made. It's best to check those values 2 days after the last double dose day. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, thank you very much. I am just a concerned overprotective "mommy"
Better overprotective than too cavalier! She's lucky to have you! You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?