Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is not moving and breathing really hard she has lost

Customer Question

my dog is not moving and breathing really hard she has lost weight and has been puking all day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear how Harmony is doing. I consider this combination of symptoms immediately worth an emergency vet visit. I would not wait for your regular vet tomorrow. The refusal to move suggests serious nausea and possible severe abdominal pain. The hard breathing suggests the same and with all the vomiting he may have pancreatitis or a foreign body ingestion. Even if I suggest an antacid below, I am strongly recommend getting in to the ER. This level of distress will continue, and Harmony will continue to decline. If this was a relatively simple dietary indiscretion, she should not be exhibiting these other issues of reluctance to get up and the labored breathing. Very very sorry that she is not feeling well.Vomiting causes can include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s - Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. I wish for a speedy recovery. Well worth the ER trip. I would expect the vet to recommend possibly some belly x-rays and maybe a simple in-house test for pancreatitis. Good Luck!Dr. Andy