Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Ceecee is rubbing her 1st time & she looks like

Customer Question

Ceecee is rubbing her butt for the 1st time & she looks like either her husband did my dog or she was in a big hurry. What do u think? She's better now but her skin is really dry & itching, constant scratching which she wasn't doing before. Should I get another groomer?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Ceecee. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
These symptoms she is showing sound really uncomfortable, so I can certainly understand why you're eager to help her. My worry is that this is something the groomer cannot fix. There are a lot of different things that can cause this type of itchiness and dry skin:allergiesflea allergy dermatitis (this is different from fleas)mitesringworm (fungal dermatitis)hot spotshormonal problemsimmune-mediated problems
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Because so many different things can cause this, I'm not sure a new groomer will be the solution to your problem. I'd advise taking Ceecee to the vet for a thorough physical examination and the necessary tests to determine why she is having this skin problem. Then you'll know exactly what needs to be done to help her feel better.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, you can use a gentle, soothing oatmeal-based pet shampoo to provide some temporary relief. Be sure to let the suds sit for ten minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Also make sure the water is just barely warm; hot water makes itchy skin worse.
Some dogs experience relief with oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight given every eight hours. Check with your vet before giving any medications, however.
By far the most common thing to cause itchy skin rashes on dogs are allergies.
You can read more about that here:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=599
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above.
I want to be as helpful as possible.
Thank you.